Hospitals in our region that participate with HealtheConnections are saving time, saving money, improving their workflows, and providing high quality care with more efficiency.
Patient medical records flow in real time between participating organizations to the HIE for all authorized users to access while caring for patients, in both emergency and ambulatory care areas.
In two minutes, learn how David uses HealtheConnections in emergency situations to help save lives:
Quickly Accessible Medical Histories and Imaging Records Are Critical.
How can hospital staff use Image Exchange, Patient Lookup, and Direct Mail to provide quality, efficient care?
Mary is a 75-year-old female Air Force Veteran who suffered an unfortunate fall and was taken via ambulance to the local hospital. She is evaluated for a suspected femur fracture. Mary does her best to remember, but is unsure of all her current medications. At the radiology department, the radiologist accessed images through the HIE and noted Mary’s prior hip replacement using Image Exchange. She’s transferred to the orthopedic floor to be prepped for surgery, and once the surgery is completed, Mary is able to recuperate at a rehabilitation facility.
EMS Providers and the ED Staff were able to get an accurate list of Mary’s prescriptions through Patient Lookup, and ensure she was safely treated with the proper medication and interventions. They were also able to access records at the Veterans Administration of her recent VA appointments noting that she has other conditions that they would need to help manage while she was admitted.
The radiologist accessed images through the HIE and noted Mary’s prior hip replacement through Image Exchange.
During surgery, the anesthesiologist checked her allergies to ensure that she is safely sedated.
The care coordinator sends transfer and discharge paperwork to the rehabilitation facility and her primary care provider without any faxes or phone calls by using Direct Mail.The most common services used by hospital providers are:
- Patient Lookup
- Comprehensive patient records show a patient’s medical history, which can prevent duplicate imaging, testing and laboratory work.
- Save time and drive efficiency in the Medical Records department as inpatient records are immediately available to primary care physicians for post-visit follow up care.
- Emergency Department providers can access patient records – including medications, allergies, and other vital information – in an emergency when their patients may not be able to speak for themselves.
- Direct Mail
- A secure email system makes it quick and easy for providers in different hospital departments to discuss patient information electronically while maintaining HIPAA compliance.
- Query-Based Exchange
- Providers can access state and federal systems and other external partners to view patient heath records.