Extended and long-term care facilities care for patients who have typically come from other facilities to receive prolonged care and rehabilitation or recovery services. Additionally, these facilities may be populated by residents that cannot live independently and require medical assistance on a daily basis, but do not require the full services of a hospital inpatient setting.
Quickly Accessible Medical Histories and Imaging Records Are Critical.
How can extended care facilities use Patient Lookup and Direct Mail to provide quality, efficient care?
Violet is a 72-year-old who recently suffered a stroke and spent two weeks in the hospital. Her physician at the hospital arranged for her to be discharged to a skilled nursing facility for rehabilitation as she heals.
At the hospital, the care coordinator was able to use Direct Mail to ensure that the staff at the skilled nursing facility had everything they needed to take care of Violet. When she was transferred to the facility, her primary care provider received an alert letting her know that Violet would be receiving the care she needed.
EMS Providers and the ED Staff were able to get an accurate list of Violet’s prescriptions through Patient Lookup prior to treatment, and ensure she was safely treated with the proper medication.
The care coordinator sends transfer and discharge paperwork to the rehabilitation facility and her primary care provider without any faxes or phone calls by using Direct Mail.
The most common services used by extended care facilities are:
- Patient Lookup
- Healthcare providers can view comprehensive electronic patient records that display medical history, laboratory results and radiology reports and tests
- Direct Mail
- Providers can discuss protected health information with doctors in other facilities with the Chat feature
- Referral packages can be sent for Meaningful Use Transition of Care using a HIPAA compliant messaging system
- When a patient is admitted to or discharged from an inpatient facility, or if they have an emergency department registration, subscribed providers are notified of the event
- Results Access & Delivery
- Both images and clinical results are sent directly to a provider’s connected EHR system or through Direct message to be viewed and stored, or are available through myResults
- Image Exchange
- Providers can view diagnostic-quality images within the HIE or their connected EHR
- Query-Based Exchange
- Healthcare providers can access state and federal systems and other external partners to view patient data