2019 YEAR IN REVIEW
In 2010, we began the journey of building a health information exchange (HIE) for Central New York. By 2017, we had more than 85% of our regional healthcare providers participating and sharing data with us. Fast-forward to 2019, and we have more than doubled our size through our merger with the HIE of the Southern Tier and the Hudson Valley regions!
HealtheConnections now supports 26 counties in New York State with health records on nearly 8 million patients. We have business units dedicated to HIE excellence, value-based solutions and cutting-edge analytics, and diverse regional population health improvement efforts. We’ve expanded from one main office in Syracuse to 4 offices directly engaging our customers in the regions we support. It was quite the year for us, our partners, and our current and new participants!
At HealtheConnections, we are customer focused. We are performance focused. We are passionately committed to our mission of collaboratively developing and delivering valued services, enabling improvements in health and healthcare delivery that result in healthier people, better care and cost efficiencies.
Building upon the momentum gained in 2019, we will continue to develop trusted relationships and deliver services with the highest levels of customer satisfaction.
President & CEO
FROM STRATEGIC PARTNERSHIP TO COMPLETED MERGER TOOK LESS THAN ONE YEAR,
creating efficiencies in processes, people, and technology that have realized immediate value for us, our HIE participants, and stakeholders. An intense volume of work (and mileage on our cars…) was necessary in a very short period of time.
Data Migration and Technical Alignment
- Ported millions of clinical records into HealtheConnections’ system within 9 months
- Reconnected and validated data sources to feed into the HIE
Regional Presence & Building Relationships
- Participants were engaged on a deeper level, and the customer engagement model was completely transformed to an account management structure
- Opened a new office in Tarrytown to support the active hub of providers in the area
- Honored with the Onondaga County Medical Society’s highest distinction, the Distinguished Service Award, for transformative influence in how care is delivered in the community
Culture of Excellence
- Operationalizing the organizational structure and technology
- Cultural and team alignment initiatives
Our priority for the HIE was to reinvigorate current customer relationships. As we moved through the merger, we focused on providing exceptional support for each user during the transition to the new exchange platform. Even still, usage continues to steadily increase year over year, and the numbers speak for themselves.
We are where you are!
Healthcare is inherently local. We are dedicated to operating a regional model and meeting our customer’s needs right in their backyard, and we are the only multi-site HIE in the state that does so.
Throughout the twists and turns of a merger, we successfully met our goals: Submitted for the HITRUST interim assessment and maintained our security certification, implemented a cohesive IT and security infrastructure across all offices, and satisfied all goals and objectives set forward by New York state.
Vice President, Operations
Chief Policy, Security, and Compliance Officer
As a Leader in the Industry, we’ve proudly presented our work and expertise on regional, statewide, and national stages for customers, partners, and peers.
- SHIEC Annual Conference
- NYHIMA Annual Conference
- MGMA Medical Practice Leader’s Conference
- CHCANYS Annual Conference and Clinical Forum
- AAP Medical Coder’s Clinical Educational Forum
Living Our Values
HealtheConnections takes great pride in its mission, infusing core values and authenticity into everything we do, both within the company and to a broader audience. A clear goal for 2019 and beyond is to strengthen our culture and maintain focus on the values and brand personality that drive us to excellence.
Population Health Improvement
Our Population Health Improvement team collaborates with partners across the region to reduce health disparities and advance county, regional and state population health goals. We focus on improving the health of our populations by helping people use data to guide their decisions, promoting health improvement strategies known to work, and bringing people together to communicate and collaborate.
Helping People Use Data
- Built up HealtheCNY, our interactive population health data website, adding new tools for better data visualization.
- Supported Community Health Assessments and program evaluation
Promoting Strategies That Work
- Conducted innovative work in chronic disease prevention and management
- Hosted Workplace Wellness summits, Blueprint for Health Equity events and Age Friendly seminars
- Expanded community clinical linkages with Community Referrals
Bringing People Together
- Convened and educated on Adverse Childhood Experiences, Food Policies, Climate Change and Health, Transportation and Health
- Provided trainings in Mental Health First Aid, Diabetes Prevention Program, Racial Equity and Health, Trauma-Informed Organizational Change
We are dedicated to being the source for high-quality, comprehensive clinical data. To that end, we’ve built a Value-Based Services team that has the subject matter and technical expertise to help you – doctors, health plans, public officials – take the next steps in your value-based journey:
Improve patient outcomes
Effectuate meaningful change in the communities we support
Launched our turn-key analytics solution, myData, designed for practices, health systems and clinically integrated networks to gain clinical insights about their patient panel, identify gaps in care, and see how they rank in quality measures.
Deployed 8 NCQA-certified Electronic Clinical Quality Measures (eCQM) which are available to all participants via myData.
Supported providers and payers participating in the NYS PCMH program with self-service tools and reports designed to maximize their effectiveness in the program.
Launched data marts and data forwarding initiatives that make comprehensive clinical data available for use in our participants’ in-house analytics platforms.
Deployed population-level dashboards to support public health officials at the county and state level as they work to end the opioid crisis and improve outcomes for patients with chronic conditions.
We are a solutions company, and we are committed to partnerships and collaborations that drive better health and care for all.
It is more crucial than ever that HIEs, clinicians, payers, and government develop shared goals that drive toward better outcomes. 2020 is the year of relationships, continuing to broaden our scope, deepen our collaborative efforts, and drive our mission in an expanded region.
We’re proud of the work that we did, and now it is time to settle in to our new operations and set the foundation for the next few years of supporting regional, state and national agendas. We will continue to exceed expectations with advanced technology, dedicated support, and renewed partnership.