Provider practices make up the largest portion of HealtheConnections participants. Both single-doctor and multiple-provider practices participate in the HIE, from primary care to pediatricians to specialists, and no matter the size or specialty, all benefit from each of the HIE services available. From better care coordination, value-based results or Meaningful Use, HealtheConnections can assist provider practices in meeting their patient-centered goals. For more information regarding how HealtheConnections can help your practice, contact a Provider Engagement Specialist for a no cost evaluation.
Bobby O’ Reilley is an 8-year old boy that for the last 24 hours has had a high fever, nausea and fatigue. His mother brings Bobby to the local pediatric emergency department where the staff is able to evaluate him and determine that he possibly has an infection. The staff at the ED prescribes antibiotics and suggests keeping Bobby hydrated. While waiting for discharge, Bobby’s mother receives a call from the pediatrician’s office scheduling a follow-up appointment. The next day Bobby’s pediatrician evaluates Bobby and orders a few additional tests to confirm her suspicions. The pediatrician then makes a referral for follow up with his nephrologist.
How HealtheConnections Services Can Help:
The pediatric emergency department was able to access Patient Lookup and review Bobby’s records due to an earlier signed consent. The ED physician then noted that Bobby has a history of chronic kidney disease with prior surgeries. His pediatrician was notified by myAlerts of Bobby’s Emergency Department encounter via Direct Mail and she then contacted Bobby’s mother to schedule a follow-up appointment for the next morning. The referral coordinator at the pediatric office used Direct Mail to send results from the current visit to the nephrologist prior to Bobby’s visit, preventing the need for any additional phone calls or faxing.
For these types of healthcare providers, the HealtheConnections features most often used by others in this field are:
- Patient Lookup
- Healthcare providers can view comprehensive electronic patient records that display medical history, laboratory results and radiology reports and tests
- Direct Mail
- Providers can discuss protected health information with doctors in other facilities with the Chat feature
- Referral packages can be sent for Meaningful Use Transition of Care using a HIPAA-compliant messaging system
- When a patient is admitted to or discharged from an inpatient facility, or if they have an emergency department registration, subscribed providers are notified of the event
- Results Access & Delivery
- Both images and clinical results are sent directly to a provider’s connected EHR system or through Direct message to be viewed and stored, or are available through myResults
- Image Exchange
- Providers can view diagnostic-quality images within the HIE or their connected EHR
- Query-Based Exchange
- Healthcare providers can access state and federal systems and other external partners to view patient data