HealtheConnections serves many other organizations and entities involved in the health of the patient outside of traditional care facilities, including physical therapists, hearing and vision centers, EMS services, and wellness centers as examples. While not every organization uses every service, HealtheConnections can bring the same level of care coordination to a variety of organizations improving the overall wellness of our community.
Mary Garcia a 75 year old female retired Air Force Veteran who lives at home with her husband who calls 911 when Mary falls in the kitchen. Upon arrival of Emergency Services, Mary is evaluated and transported to the local hospital for a suspected femur fracture. Upon arrival at the Emergency Department, Mary is triaged by the nursing staff where she answers questions pertaining to her medical history but is unsure of all of her current medications. She is then sent to the radiology department where an x-ray shows a mid-shaft femur fracture that will require surgery as well as indications of a prior hip transplant. Mary is transferred up to the orthopedic floor to prepare for surgery. Following her surgery she is transferred to a long term care facility for rehabilitation care.
How HealtheConnections Services Can Help:
Using Patient Lookup, both the EMS providers as well as the Emergency Department staff were able to have a more complete picture of Mary’s health history ensuring that they did not give any medications that contraindicated her current prescriptions. The radiologist, upon reviewing the x-ray, notes a prior hip transplant and is able to look into the HIE to see the images from Mary’s surgery last year at the VA via HealtheConnections’ VA Gateway interface. He is then able to share this via Direct Mail with the attending orthopedist with his findings for recommended treatment and follow-up care. During pre-surgery evaluation, the anesthesiologist is able to review Mary’s allergies and notes an allergy that requires a change to the anesthetic to use. Following surgery, as Mary recovers, her care coordinator is able to send Mary’s transfer and discharge paperwork over to the rehabilitation facility as well as to her primary care provider via Direct Mail prior to her transfer to the rehabilitation facility.
For these types of healthcare providers, the HealtheConnections features most often used by others in this field are:
- Patient Lookup
- Healthcare providers can view comprehensive electronic patient records that display medical history, laboratory results and radiology reports and tests
- Direct Mail
- Providers can discuss protected health information with doctors in other facilities with the Chat feature
- Referral packages can be sent for Meaningful Use Transition of Care using a HIPAA compliant messaging system
- When a patient is admitted to or discharged from an inpatient facility, or if they have an emergency department registration, subscribed providers are notified of the event
- Results Delivery
- Both images and clinical results are sent directly to a provider’s connected EHR system or through Direct message to be viewed and stored, or are available through myResults
- Image Exchange
- Providers can view diagnostic-quality images within the HIE or their connected EHR
- Query-Based Exchange
- Healthcare providers can access state and federal systems and other external partners to view patient data