A clinic, sometimes referred to as an outpatient clinic or ambulatory care clinic, is a health care facility that is primarily devoted to the care of patients who do not require overnight or longer-term care. They typically cover the primary health care needs of populations in local communities, in contrast to larger hospitals which offer specialized treatments and admit patients for overnight stays.
Bobby O’ Reilley is an 8-year old boy that for the last 24 hours has had a high fever, nausea and fatigue. His mother brings Bobby to the local pediatric emergency department where the staff is able to evaluate him and determine that he possibly has an infection. The staff at the ED prescribes antibiotics and suggests keeping Bobby hydrated. While waiting for discharge, Bobby’s mother receives a call from the pediatrician’s office scheduling a follow-up appointment. The next day Bobby’s pediatrician evaluates Bobby and orders a few additional tests to confirm her suspicions. The pediatrician then makes a referral for follow up with his nephrologist.
How HealtheConnections Services Can Help:
The pediatric emergency department was able to access Patient Lookup and review Bobby’s records due to an earlier signed consent. The ED physician then noted that Bobby has a history of chronic kidney disease with prior surgeries. His pediatrician received an alert of Bobby’s Emergency Department encounter via Direct Mail and she then contacted Bobby’s mother to schedule a follow-up appointment for the next morning. The referral coordinator at the pediatric office used Direct Mail to send results from the current visit to the nephrologist prior to Bobby’s visit, preventing the need for any additional phone calls or faxing.
For these types of healthcare providers, the HealtheConnections features most often used by others in this field are:
- Patient Lookup
- Healthcare providers can view comprehensive electronic patient records that show medical history, laboratory and radiology reports, tests, and more
- Direct Mail
- Providers can discuss protected health information with doctors in other facilities, making it easy to transfer referral packages
- Whenever a patient is admitted to or discharged from an in-patient facility, or if they have an emergency department registration, providers are notified of the event
- Results Delivery
- Both images and clinical results are sent directly to a provider’s connected EHR system or through Direct message to be viewed and stored, or are available through myResults
- Image Exchange
- Providers can view diagnostic-quality images within the HIE or their connected EHR
- Query-Based Exchange
- Healthcare providers can access state and federal systems and external partners to view patient data